Friday, February 13, 2009

Smoking Ban



















I've decided to get a little more "personal" and/or opinionated in my blog entries... at least once in a while anyway.

Before I get to abortion issues, I figured I should start with something slightly more benign in smoking bans.

The city of Madison, WI recently instituted a smoking ban. I am not knowledgeable of the financial ramifications of such a decision, nor do I care very much at this time. I'm not sure how it affects taxes or tax-funded services or programs, so this is not an entry about that.

I am happy that I can now to eat anywhere in Madison for lunch or dinner and not have to worry about my kids inhaling smoke, inhaling smoke myself, or walking out smelling like an ashtray. I live in a community that is not smoke free. Yet. Hopefully.
Playing devil's advocate, someone once asked me, "Don't smoker's have rights too?" I answered, "Yes." They have rights. They have the right to smoke. They have the right to go out to eat or drink too. But they don't have the right to hurt anyone or damage their health. Does anyone ever have the right to do something that can hurt others? I don't think so - or at least I don't think they have the right to.
Now, if establishments could successfully keep the smoke in the smoking section and out of the non-smoking section, I think that would be a fine compromise. I'm guessing that would require some remodeling, adding some walls and ventilation systems; but at least they'd have that option - that way, financially, they could still serve customers who want to smoke and those who do not. Otherwise, people who smoke can at least still eat without smoking. Its not like the city is banning the people - they are just banning the harmful behavior.
You can't fight in a bar or restaurant either. That doesn't mean that those people couldn't come in if they don't fight - its just that they can't behave harmfully while they are inside.
Thoughts?

No comments: