Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Once


A few years ago my wife and I went to see Damien Rice perform at the Barrymore Theater off Atwood Ave in Madison - a relatively intimate venue where every seat is a good seat. Damien Rice is an Irish singer-songwriter who's album's "O" and "9" are passionately performed, though relatively dark. Most of his songs include either a cellist and/or a woman backup singer who's voice is beautiful.

Well, Damien Rice was.... well.... weird. He performed a couple of cool songs, but all of the weirdness between songs really ruined the show for me. That being said, the opening act STOLE THE SHOW!!! That opening act was The Frames - an Irish band that Damien "brought with him" to tour. The Frames were entertaining, funny, engaging, and very strong musically. They are a full band including keyboards and an electric violin (that really rocked). After the concert, we ended up buying a Frames CD entitled "Set List" which sounded a lot like the live concert and is very good.

The lead singer of The Frames? Glen Hansard.

Well, I've since passed that CD on to some of my friends, including David Sutter, who also enjoyed it. Last week David called me to recommend a movie ("Once") and a song from that movie ("Falling Slowly"). The movie Once stars the Frames lead singer, Glen Hansard, and a Czech (I think) woman Marketa Irsglova. Its a complicated love story where the movie's tag line is "How often to you find the right person? Once." The movie is decent - just be ready for an Indy-type film - but the soundtrack, which features songs performed by Glen and Marketa, is really good. If you are looking for a different sound, but a great listen, check it out on iTunes or wherever you get your music these days. I think certain songs sound similar to Damien Rice (with his woman backup singer), Dido, and maybe a tiny bit like certain Bare Naked Ladies songs. As one person said, Hansard is "Raw and clear".

1 comment:

Anne said...

We were charged $72 in late fees because I rented Once the night before we did our Christmas in Wisconsin tour. We intended on returning the videos (Michael rented one too) to Movies America on the way out of town. We forgot. Needless to say, by the time we got the movies back to M.A. we expected some late fees. $72 was not what we expected. Unfortunately, Michael paid the fees, before we could contest the fine. We asked the manager to call us twice. He did not. We do not rent from Movies America anymore. Netflix is our only means of getting videos. And...I don't look at the movie Once with tremendous affection. Music was wonderful, but everytime I hear it on the radio I think of what else I could have purchased with the fine money.
By the way...I fully expect that we should be fined. We goofed. I just think $72 is excessive.